Thursday, March 30, 2006

An Interesting Experiment

First off, thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. My birthday celebrations (yes plural) were pretty awesome.

So, some of you might have read elsewhere that I gave up the internet after 7pm CST for 6 weeks. It hasn't been quite as hard as it might be - although I have kind of missed playing poker and chatting with my friends, I've actually been pretty busy instead and have spent the time watching movies or in meetings, etc etc.

I came to a realization Sunday night that what I really need to give up is online poker itself. I really do spend too much time playing during the day while bored to tears on conference calls and there is more important stuff that needs to be done. So with that in mind, yesterday I gave it up, and will continue to do so for the next 15 or 17 days (depending on if I count the Sundays or not. I'm debating counting the Sundays since it's such a short time period, but I haven't decided yet).

Yesterday was SO HARD - I realized how much time in my day I spend playing poker instead of doing other stuff. And believe me, there's a bunch of other stuff to be done. I was counting the minutes an crawling the wall until I had to go get tires replaced in Bolingbrook (exciting), which happened to be very close to Indiana where I could justify playing some cards until the rush hour traffic dwindled. I spent the time doing work around the house and some work-work stuff too, and was amazed at how productive I felt.

This doesn't mean I will be giving up reading about poker, or live poker (obviously), but hopefully I'll get more Real Work done, and feel like I'm actually contributing to society instead of being a degenerate...

3 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger DrChako said...

Taking a break, and using it to learn more about the game... well done. I did the same experiment in January, with very good results. I still haven't gone back to online poker, but I made some subtle changes to my live game (read that - play fewer hands more aggressively), and all is well.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

Randy finds this weird of me, but honestly, online poker - at the micro limits I play at - is really more for fun than a true expectation of making a profit. That's what live play is for. Unless I win the lottery (which I don't play, so I can't win), I won't be investing large sums of cash into online poker, and therefore will never surpass the micro limits, and resultingly will never play it for any reason other than to kill time, chat with friends, or be a degenerate.

Maybe if I could give up online poker long enough for my affiliate money to build up, I could play at higher levels and take it seriously. But that would take.... oh, about 25 months of waiting without playing. :)

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If live poker is more fun/profitable, do that.

Just keep the game enjoyable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home