Tuesday, January 02, 2007

My TDL lessons

First off, Happy New Year, everyone. 2007 is off to an auspicious start - I went to AC for NYE and didn't put a chip on a table, AND I drank three (at least) whole beers. Gasp - what is this world coming too???

So, as promised, the TDL post. First, a primer on TDL, courtesy of BadBlood - read that first if you're not familiar before moving on.

Things I have learned about TDL, mostly courtesy of DiscoStacks:
. Playing without a 2 is very shady
. An 87 low is the DEBBIL, but sometimes evil holds up - it's like having KQ on a K 8 7 board - lots of hands out there are better than yours, but you still are likely good
. There are all sorts of crazy people playing this game - people who cap predraw and then drop 4
. nothing hurts worse than having an 8 perfect (85432) get cracked by someone who draws two on the river and hits his 76
. I need to fold much more preflop, and reraise more when I'm going to play
. 3-5-7 is really not a pretty hand to start with - it is the equivalent of KT or K9 s00ted, because of all the straight possibilities, so don't be calling it for a raise, even in the blind
. 2357, on the other hand, is like having cowboys preflop
. alcohol helps dull the variance pain
. 3456 is the A9o of TDL. Just fold it and save yourself the pain - it's not as pretty as it looks, because you're drawing to a horrible 8. [Garth prefers to fold this hand and set it on fire]
. the sweetest chips are the ones you get from running the wheel (23457 in TDL speak) into #2 (23467) and getting paid off all the way

4 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Gnome said...

Nice post! TDL hates me, but I still love it just the same.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger StB said...

Yeah, I probably paid you off on Friday night too many time with an 87.

I think I learned my lesson this weekend. Slow down and stay away from 3456.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Maigrey, that was a fantastic post. You know I play TDL like some sort of mega-donkey, but I love the hell out of the game. I never really gave it much thought, mostly playing on feel (in the less than 15 instances I've played), but now I see that there is actually a lot more to it than I originally thought. Also, I have to say, I'm really going to use some of your tips from this post. So next time I'm around and we are playing TDL, expect just a plain ole regular donkey. I still have a way to go.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger schneid said...

The problem I have with triple draw is that it's very hard to multi-table. There are constant decisions to be made and with fewer players than a hold'em table, they come fast and furious. And since you don't get good hands that often, I would want to play 4 tables, which is too hard.

- schneid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home