Sunday, July 31, 2005

Random Weekend stuffs

I finished Aces and Kings - Inside Stories and Million-Dollar Strategies from Poker's Greatest Players, and I have to say: "Enh." and "This is going to the library as a donation rather than take up space in my library." Maybe it's because I read it after The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King - Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time, and that's hard to live up to, but it really didn't tell a gripping story. This could also be the fact that I'm not terribly interested in the 'old greats' of gambiling, but prefer to read about those folks who are still playing.

Also, I'm a little ticked that they gave women just a lumped chapter, which tPtBatSK did not do - it treated Jennifer Harman as a player in her own right, and didn't marginalize them into a lumped category at the end of the book.

Plus, any book that says that if you have the NUTS when you hold J8, and the flop is Q T 9 loses major points, because hello, the NUTS would be KJ, morons.


* * *

I took Saturday off from poker and decided to go spend some time at the movie theater. I saw Stealth, which was basically what I expected it to be - eye candy, both with the stars and with the flight scenes, and I was more than ok with that - in fact the parts where they tried to put some 'meat' into the story were slow and cumbersome, and I wished they'd just get back to the sexy flying stuff.

I ducked into Must Love Dogs just as the movie was starting, and I am totally in love with John Cusack again. Diane Lane was great, too, though the rest of the movie was pretty trite and formulaic. Definitely a chick flick, but not a horrible one if you're looking for one.

* * *

Made it to church this week, and spent Saturday relaxing around the house, ordering pizza, and playing in the PLO satellite on Stars and getting really annoyed that I keep having connection problems, which almost caused me to fold QUADS BITCHES in the PLO game. RRR.

But, I can fold my way to the satellite with the best of 'em! Nerd is so right, the PLO satellites are SO SOFT.

Next weekend, Poker, then Michigan on Saturday!