Sunday, July 31, 2005

Weekend hit #1

Took off a little early, and headed down to the boats. The $400 game wasn't going yet, so I sat down in the baby game and proceeded to get a rush of cards and run my $200 buyin up to $1200 in about an hour, if that.

Most of it was from this interesting hand: I limp in early position with 2s4s. I often limp with suited aces and little connectors and little pairs. The Aces and suited connectors I'll generally play for 4xBB, the small pairs I play for 10% of the smallest stack - mine or the raisers for the implied odds. A pretty tight but easy-to-read-and-overvalues-and-overbets-his-hand guy raises to 6xBB ($30) with $500 or so back. I look at his stack and decide to play this, because of my implied odds - if I hit, I'm going to break him. Plus, a $1000 LAG player has $5 in, and if I come in, he's coming in too, which puts more money in the pot.

Flop comes down 3s Tc 6s. I check, raiser bets $50 into the $90 pot, which is a really weird bet, but I call, as I've got the flush and i'm getting 3.8 to 1 on my money. LAG behind me folds, alas.

Turn is 3h; I check again, raiser bets $75 into the now $190 pot. Again, this is an insanely WEIRD bet, and I know he's not thinking about the odds because I'm getting 4.5 to 1 now. I look at him for a while, and call.

River is GIN - 5d. I'm sure he has me on a flush draw, but there's no way he's going to put me on the straight. I check, knowing this guy is not smart enough to check behind, and doesn't see the straight out there at all, and is never going to put me on 2s4s. He doesn't, and he bets $100, leaving $250 behind. I wait a second and say, "I'm all in".

This absolutely throws him for a loop and he looks at the board, and looks at me, and looks at the board again. After about 2 to 3 minutes, he says, "I call." I flip my hand up and say, "Straight." As the $1000 LAG player says, "Of COURSE she's got a straight or a boat with that move, what were you thinking?" Raiser said, "I put her on the flush draw, and not on TWO FOUR FOR A THIRTY DOLLAR RAISE PREFLOP!!!" The boys at the table agree that they had me on the flush draw, etc etc, and I say, "Well, I have to mix it up some times."

... of course, then I had someone stay in for a $40 raise (I had 55 from the SB and 8 limpers) with K8o and the flop came down 2 2 8. Wunderbar. Turn was another 2, then an A on the flop, and the moron still called with the high likelyhood I had at least an ace. Oh well. I left the baby game to the $1000 max buy in game with $840, added $100 from my pocket and sat down and played there instead. I'd managed to grab another $400 until I got three big pocket pairs in a row, and lost 2 out of three of them. Sigh.

The game went short handed, and like usual, they busted me for the last $400 I had. So, I did what any gambler does - I said screw this shorthanded stuff and moved up to the crazy monkey game, since the crazy monkeys weren't there, and the only LAG at the table wasn't that great of a player. He's a decent O8 player, and the seat open was next to him, so I sat down there and smiled my smile and worked my magic to get PLO lessons.