Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I wish to be like Jen Harman

I just finished reading Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King, The - Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time, which was an absolutely fantastic read, especially since I was at the Bellagio on May 10th/11th when Andy Beal was in town and they were playing $50,000/$100,000 heads up poker. I remember sitting at the $4/$8 game and hearing all the dealers gossip about The Big Game going on; I think Howard Lederer was in the box when I was there, but I could be wrong (that may have been the time that Howard wasn't allowed to play Beal).

And after reading this book, I really want to be Jen Harman - I want to be able to have the reads she does, and the cash game skills she does, and in general, be able to kick the boys' asses as described in the book. It even tells a story about when she snookered Doyle Brunson out of a large triple-draw pot - how's that for aggression and non-intimidation? Jennifer's now surpassed Annie Duke as my number one idol, and I've met Annie and liked her very much.

Anyway, I highly recommend the book, it reads pretty quick and tells both sides of the story pretty fairly.