Monday, May 02, 2005

Poker update

I've mostly been spending time trying to clear bonuses on Full Tilt and Ultimate Bet, since I've cleared the party poker bonus. Is it just me, or is the Full Tilt bonus one of the slowest ones to get through?

In other news, I've decided to give up online No-Limit games, because I can't seem to consistently win, and when I do, it's fold fold fold fold play one hand, get sucked out on, fold fold fold, win a little pot, fold fold fold. I can't remember who said it, but I'm much more suited to the little swings at limit games online than the one or two big decision NL games. So I'm back to $2/$4 and $3/$6 online and am consistenly making money in addition to the bonuses, and this makes me happy.

I'm still playing NL in live games, though - like BadBlood, I feel as though I'm a much better live player than online; there's just something that I pick up on in addition to the betting patterns that makes me more of a winning player. Also, I think my 'I'm a sweet, kind, funny girl' attitude works much better live than online as well. Did I mention I love being a girl?

I went to Trump on Friday, and the NL controversy is still going on, but this time they had a $1000 min $25/$50 blinds table (ie the crazy monkey game) and a $400 min $5/$10 blinds game going, so I sat in the $400 game and was utterly bored out of my skull. I spent most of the night down ~$200, until I got a hand where my QQ actually held up to the river, despite an ace on the flop - that finally put me up about $500, at which point the game broke, since a couple players wanted to play pot-limit omaha, and a couple players wanted to get up. This had to have been probably the most boring game in my life, since all that was left to play the $400 min game were the "nut-sitters" as one of the crowd calls them.

I then picked up to play the baby game ($50 min / $200 max; $2/$5 blinds) and managed to get all in with someone who had TPTK to my nut straight, wahoo! Of course, then when I moved tables, I had a hand where everyone limped in, and I limped with A♦ 5♦ along with 7 other people. The flop came down 2 3 4 rainbow, and the big blind overbets the $40 pot with a $75 bet. This is a big flashing sign that says "Hello, I am the big blind and I do not have a straight" - meaning my straight is pretty darn good.

Everyone folds to me, and the guy has ~$110 left, so I say "I'm all in." He doesn't even think about it for more than a second (and let's just realize here that I'm not an absolutely crazy aggressive player at the table, so I likely have a hand) and then says "I call." I flip over my hand, and he goes "ow. I have outs..."

Of course, the turn is a 4, which given his scream of "WOOO! I have FOURS FULL OF TWOS!!" is one of his 6 outs. I roll my eyes, ask the dealer to count it down, and pay the schmuck off. I also then say, "Here's your free lesson for the day: there's no point in overbetting the pot, because the only person that can call you is the person that has you beat, and the person who is going to raise you has you crushed, and you are already way behind." He acknowledges that he got really lucky, but continues to sit there with a smirk on his face for the next 15 minutes.

I shouldn't have been surprised, because for the half hour before that hand, we just got to listen to the bad beats he gave to other folks at the pot-limit omaha game.

Then, to add insult to injury, while I almost built my stack back up to it's pre-suckout state, I get to watch Suck-out-boy distribute the $187 he won from me back to the table in bits and pieces - when I left to go to the newly opened $200 min / $500 max table, he was sitting right around where he originally started ($187). Sigh.

But, I managed to make good on the evening by tripling up on a couple hands at the $500 max table, making the night an overall decent profit night. Plus, I left reasonably early (2 AM), and then slept in the next day - always puts me in a good mood.