Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Oy, what a weekend

It's a good thing I had a monster week last week, because this past weekend saw a -$4k weekend, thanks to the craziness that is BBQ and JT. They decided they wanted to play $10/$25 blinds with $1,000 minimum buyin. Of course that means that instead of it being $5/$10/$60-$80, it was $10/$25/$150 when either Q or JT raised. Ugh.

I had to mix my play up considerably - slowplaying QQ to one of BBQ's raises, and pushing in when the flop came ten high, and then semi-bluffing Q out of a pot when I had 88 to a flop of 8 7 6. Q bet out $500, I only had $1500 in my stack, so I went into the tank - If I raised, I was going to be committed anyway, and the only way I could get him off a hand is to show strength and go all in, since that's what was going to happen anyway. I did so, and Q freaked out - he said he had the smallest straight possible, and did I have the T9? I asked him what he thought I would go all in with, and he was considering calling - something I /really/ didn't want, obviously; I had outs, but he was made already - so I told him I'd show him my cards if he wanted. That got him to fold, and I flipped up my set and he said 'DAYYYYMN! That was a strong play!' I said, yeah, but I had a lot of outs, etc etc.

With the QQ mentioned above, I had to show my cards again because he bet strong into the pot, I pushed, and he said he had a monster hand - AK, and I said that's a pretty good hand. He asked me to show him one card, and since we were heads up I showed him one, then the other, and again he went 'Daaaaaamn' - if I just showed him the Q, he would have called in .032 seconds flat, thinking I had AQ to his AK, but I'd rather take the $1000 pot down right there by showing my hand, which is what I did, since he realized he was way behind and folded, even though he could have caught a 6 outer on me...

Then I had AA UTG to a live straddle ($50 for the real UTG person), and I got cute with it and just called, since it was Q on the straddle, and JT and Slim were still in the hand, so I was sure someone was going to raise it. No, instead JT said "Wow, you're just limping with a straddle out there? Watch out, she's got a monster hand!" Dammit.

The flop came down Q high, JT bet $100 at it, Slim raised it to $500, Q folded, I didn't think what that $500 meant, and I went all in. Slim said he unfortunately had to call me and showed his flopped set of 4s, and that was that. I didn't rebuy in, as I was thinking of leaving when Sam-the-lawyer left anyway, because as Sully had warned me, that game really was too big and gamble-y for me. I went down and terrorized the baby game for a while, and left way too late in the AM.