Monday, June 06, 2005

WBPT update part I

I survived the weekend and am currently sitting on my hour long flight to Phoenix where I will attempt to be coherent and professional and not dance on any tables.

The weekend was, of course, pretty great. I didn’t get to play the bigger limit games that I wanted to play, but that was a small disappointment in a sea of exceeded expectations, and unexpected suprises.

I’m just going to say it right now: I love the wives! This was by far the most unexpected and pleasant surprise to meet 5 of the most amazing women I didn’t know, and wasn’t expecting to hang out with at all. I certainly never expected to turn down an opportunity to play poker in order to go on escapades with these women, and that’s the highest compliment there is for a poker player. You heard it right here, these women are cooler than poker in Vegas.

I suppose if I really thought about it, I should have realized that these women had to be pretty fantastic to put up with degenerate gamblers, right? Thank you to Eva (Mrs. Hang), Michelle (Mrs. Otis), Beth (Mrs. G-Rob), Kristie (Mrs. Blood) and Rachel (Mrs. Head) for making the trip and making my Vegas experience unforgettable.

Now, more for jogging my memory later, the weekend in bullet point format:

Wednesday:
  • Arrive in Vegas, pick up car, drive to the Orleans, check in

  • Try to hook up with Pokeramama, but get his voicemail

  • Head to the Bellagio to play $2-$5 $200 buyin NL, as I’m too tired to try the $10-$20 NL game

  • Don’t realize this is the only time I’m going to sit at the Bellagio poker tables, dammit

  • Lose 3 buyins after being up $20.

  • Go back to hotel at wee hours of the morning and sleep

Thursday:
  • Wake up about 10 am

  • Go downstairs and play craps in order to get free mochas

  • Lose $44 after being up $20

  • Lose valet ticket

  • Manage to get car anyway, tip valet big

  • Go to Plaza to meet FelEEEEEEcia, and find out she’s not there

  • Call Pauly to figure out where the heck everyone is, find out they’re upstairs

  • Play Pai-gow while waiting for the good doctor, win $10. This should have warned me how the weekend was going to go, but like I’m going to listen

  • Go to the Excalibur to play poker with Pauly, Derek et all

  • Meet Joe Speaker in skanky non-Joe Speaker clothing and don’t recognize him

  • Which could be because I’d never met him before, but I doubt that

  • Lose $40 playing $2-6 spread at the Excal, switch to the $1-$3 NL game

  • Lose $80 at the $1-$3 NL game.

  • Go with Gracie, and GracieGuests to all you can eat sushi

  • Eat Way Too Much Sushi with FelEEEEEEEcia, Joe Speaker, Wes, Wes’s Friend Tim, Mr. & Mrs. Head, Joe VegasVegas, the Gracies, Tanya, and some 2+2ers.

  • Go to MGM and play in $2-$5 $200 min / $500 max while waiting for the mixed games to start

  • Lose $100 in $2/$5 mixed game

  • But I could have won if I didn’t get up to play the mixed game, because the game was so good.

  • Go play mixed HORSE game with sushi folks

  • Try and get as many people as possible to drink toasted almonds

  • Try and play other table of mixed game with the Al Can’t Hang Experience, get dissed because they fill up the seat

  • Meet Patrick Swayze

  • Do shot with Al Can’t Hang and manage to keep shot of SoCo down

  • Try and get people to play craps, dammit.

  • Lose $100 or so in the Mixed Game; I’m sure it all went to Felicia

  • Head downtown to the Plaza, play some $2/$4 with the gang, lose some money

  • Find out the Plaza has no max on their NL game, play NL until the sun comes up and then some (lose $250 to The Fat Guy when he hits his set to my cowboys)

  • But, I get the highest compliment ever from Hank and Iggy (that I can play poker)

  • Drag butt back up to the Orleans to sleep for 4 hours (1 more than the 3 hours of sleep a night Eva says the body needs)


Friday, Saturday and Sunday to come, it's late, the plane ride was short, and I need to get up tomorrow. Suffice it to say there was lots of drinking, screaming "PAIGOW!!", dancing on bars and slutty tiaras involved.